9th throughout history and see if it's been an important date.
- 1620 - Pilgrims aboard the Mayflower sight land at Cape Cod, Massachusetts.
- 1872 - The Great Boston Fire of 1872.
- 1887 - The United States receives rights to Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.
- 1888 - Jack the Ripper kills Mary Jane Kelly, his last known victim.
- 1917 - Joseph Stalin enters the provisional government of the USSR.
- 1921 - Albert Einstein is awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics for his work with the photoelectric effect.
- 1953 - Cambodia becomes independent from France.
- 1967 - Apollo program: NASA launches the unmanned Apollo 4 test spacecraft atop the first Saturn V rocket from Cape Kennedy, Florida.
- 1967 - First issue of Rolling Stone Magazine is published.
- 1985 - Garry Kasparov 22, of the Soviet Union becomes the youngest World Chess Champion by beating Anatoly Karpov, also of the Soviet Union.
- 1989 - Cold War: Fall of the Berlin Wall. Communist-controlled East Germany opens checkpoints in the Berlin Wall allowing its citizens to travel to West Germany. People start demolishing the Berlin Wall.
- 1994 - The chemical element Darmstadtium is discovered.
- 1841 - King Edward VII of the United Kingdom
- 1951 - Lou Ferrigno, American bodybuilder
- 1959 - Tony Slattery, British actor
- 1961 - Jill Dando, British television presenter
- 1970 - Chris Jericho, Canadian wrestler and musician
- 1978 - Sisqó, American singer (Dru Hill)
- 1980 - Mandy Lynn, American Model
- 1984 - Delta Goodrem, Australian singer